Welcome to Class 2
Our teacher’s name is Miss Hutton and we are supported by Mrs Sanderson and Mrs Bentham.
What we have been doing:
- Class 2 thoroughly enjoyed our class text of ‘The Owl Who Was Afraid Of The Dark’. They produced some lovely comic strips, speech bubble work and instructions based on this book. They were fantastic at discussing the story and making predictions.
- We have worked hard with number bonds to 10, fact families and addition so far this term. We can use different resources to help us with our math work.
- In RE, we have learned all about the creation story and the children have created some fabulous art work.
- We enjoyed singing songs and learning about our different body parts. We drew around some children to create life size bodies and added labels. We had so much fun!
- In geography we have been studying Horden and we loved using google maps to search for our houses.
- As part of the ‘Tree project’, we explored our outdoor area and searched for different types of seeds. We then sorted, prepared and planed them. We can’t wait to check on our trees next year.
- We had a wonderful start to the term when Sensei John came to visit and share a Judo session with us.
- We had a visit from the fire brigade, who even let us use the hose!
- We have created some lovely work around the topic ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ re-writing our own stories and working on key vocabulary. We also created our own beanstalks!
The children have really enjoyed using talk for writing in literacy where they have retold the story of ‘The Magic Paintbrush’ and the instructions of ‘How to Trap a Dragon’. The children have produced some excellent pieces of extended writing.
We have been working really hard in numeracy and have become very confident with number bonds and counting in 2’s, 5’s and 10’s. We have done lots of problem solving and reasoning around adding, subtracting, money and shape.
As part of international week children enjoyed designing and creating African necklaces (take a look in the Gallery) and participating in a traditional jumping dance.
In History children explored how transport has changed over time and were very keen to carry out some of their own research on the Ipads.
Children have worked very hard and have thoroughly enjoyed choreographing their own friendship dance to the song ‘Happy’ by Pharrell Williams.
Our current focus in class, is dragons. We are so excited to carry out our instructions and create our own trap outside!
We really enjoyed a visit from Martin the Minibeast man who brought with him lots of different Minibeasts for us to touch, hold and learn about. Look at the pictures in our Gallery.
Our Teaching Methods
Please feel free to have a closer look at the teaching methods and our approach to phonics and reading:
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.