Welcome to Class 1.
We are a group of mixed YR and Y1 children who love exploring our indoor and outdoor areas. Our teacher is Miss Reineck and we are supported by Mrs Mann.
What have we been doing:
- As part of our Local Area Geography topic, we explored Horden. We had lots of fun searching for places on our checklist and especially enjoyed our time in the park.
- Each week, we have enjoyed being chefs and making delicious food to try. So far, we have made jam tarts, harvest vegetable soup, cakes and scones. I wonder what we’ll try next?
- We had the fire brigade visit school and teach us about the importance of fire safety. We got to sit in the back of the fire engine and even have a go at using their hose! It was very heavy!
- We have had lots of fun creating sculptures of woodland animals. Here are some pictures of our masterpieces.
- We really enjoyed a visit from Martin the Minibeast man who brought with him lots of different Minibeasts for us to touch, hold and learn about. Look at the pictures in our Gallery.
- We enjoyed a Hoopstarz day with the rest of the school.
- To celebrate Chinese New Year we tasted Chinese food, tried using chopsticks and undertook a number of challenges around the area.
- Keeping ourselves safe when using the internet is very important to us. During Safer Internet Day we were able to think about people we can trust online and in the real word to help us if we come across problems online.
- As part of our Toys topic we designed and made our own hand puppets!
- To celebrate The Presentation of Jesus at the Temple we made and decorated candles to remind us that Jesus is the light of the world.
- We had a wonderful visit to Beamish again this year. We visited Santa, fed his reindeers, baked cookies, made peg dolls and even took a ride on a tram!
- This year we decided to make sure that Santa knew exactly what we wanted for Christmas and sent him some letters which we had written. We then took a trip down to the local post box to make sure they were posted correctly.
- We have been exploring a Mastery Maths Curriculum, using a practical approach to embed concepts and ideas. Using ‘Tens Frames’ and the Part, Part, Whole Model to support number recognition and addition.
- As part of our body topic we had a fun day investigating our senses. We tasted different foods, went on a walk using our eyes to find different items, used touch to guess what was in the bag, used our sense of smell to guess what was in the smelling pots and played a game of bingo listening to different sounds.
- During our hunt for Autumn we decided to make our own clay hedgehogs.
- As part of our literacy topic we tasted different fruits and described them. We then went onto make our own fruit kebabs writing a recipe plan and instructions.
- During Bonfire week the fire brigade came and visited our school to tell us about firework safety.
- We began the term with an excellent introduction into Judo from Sensei John The children were very excited to learn how to pin their partner and play thumb wars. Have a look at our whole school photos enjoying the session in the gallery.
Our Teaching Methods
Please feel free to have a closer look at the teaching methods, including our approach to reading and phonics in Class 1.
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.